Monday, February 25, 2008

Do you understand what am I talking about?!...

...That isn't a typo either. That is the most repeated phrase that peppered our lectures today by our Singaporean speaker this week. Samuel Phun is his name, and I can already tell this is going to be the most refreshing week for myself that we have had so far. It is perfect timing coming the very first week of the second half of lectures.

Sam Phun is a large 42 year old Singaporean guy that spoke to us today in camo shorts and a baggy t-shirt. Due to his highlighted, spiked hair, that fit his fashion well, fixed (not combed at all) into mullet form, I felt connected immediately of course. His topic is evangelism, and he presents it very differently than many people I have heard speak about the topic before. He is the pastor of a church in Singapore and the biggest ministry he heads up is a prison ministry. One of the fellow leaders in his church is a convicted murderer that spent 14 years in prison! Talk about someone who accepts everybody and their love of God for what it is, not who they are!

Sam talked to the class today about evangelism and how the techniques will always change but the message will not. He was very heavy on the fact that how we share Jesus is going to be so different from generation to generation, but the fact that Jesus is the one we are sharing always makes the central message essentially the same, no matter the presentation. I felt a little awkward and exuberant at the same time as he pointed out to our class that I had a better chance to connect with people of our generation than anyone else in the class. He asked our class why he thought that, and after several guesses such as, "He's white," "He speaks English" and "He knows how to talk to people," he came out and revealed that it was my style. He said college students around here would open up to me a lot easier than they would many of the other people in our class because of my appearance. This is what I have been screaming from the start.

I am in no way advocating that anyone or their children to go and get visible tattoos or wear any certain style of clothing (thus washing my hands from the responsibility of other's choices!), but I agree that there are certain people out there that I would be able to present the gospel to in a public, non-religious setting much better than my dad would be able to. I'm not saying that he couldn't either, I'm just saying it might be easier for someone my age to open up to me than some other people out there. My biggest question now is: How will that help me in Nepal? I don't know the answer, but I do know that I will be buying several Nepali outfits so I can fit in a little better than just being a blatant white American. Pray for me and a connection! Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, are you saying you think your dad is getting old & out of style? You must be feeling safe since your on the other side of the world.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, your dad is getting old and yes his style has changed as he gets older, but some of us old people like him like that! Of course I would like to see him with his hair highlighted and spiked...but wait he has grey highlights now. :-)

Anonymous said...

Seth, I am here to give you a break. After seeing your dad's post at the first Starbucks, well son, like father like son. Then there are those of us who wake up one day and say "I AM MY MOTHER"!!! That being said, it really depends on who your mother is! Laughin with you from Smyrna, keep posting!
Linda

Anonymous said...

Seth: You have done a great job posting, writing & keeping us informed, keep up the good work...Love you, Benny & Anna Ruth