Saturday, May 10, 2008

Pray For Seth

As you know, because of Seth's location, he doesn't have a great deal of time or the ability to get to a phone very easily.  Communication, at best, has been very minimum since he headed out of Kathmandu.

I talked with him just before leaving and he was pretty sick.  I'll spare you the details, but let's just say that his GI track in on the blink. He was running a pretty high fever and quite frankly was miserable.  He was concerned about even getting to make the long bus ride, but at my urging (because he would be there alone for the next 10 days), he medicated heavily and headed out, or at least I assumed he had because I had not heard from him.

At 11:30pm on Thursday night, our phone rang, of course stopping my heart and causing me to run haphazzardly into the living to find the phone.  I was happy to hear Seth on the other end.  He sounded much better than the last time I had talked with him (no fever this time), but he is still pretty sickly.  All of his symptoms point to Giardia, which is an intestinal parasite (oooh, I hate that word) that comes from water.  He has every symptom.  He called to check with Dr. Mom on what he should take to treat it.  Fortunately, medicines are available and easily accessible without a prescription.  

I gave him name of the medication that he needed, Flagyl, and jumped online to check the doseage before he hung up.  He was going later that evening to the pharmacy and see if he could find the medication.  I did give him a back up plan if he could not find the Flagyl.

He called this morning to say that he had found and purchased the medication at the local pharmacy there without a prescription from Dr. Mom.  He was able to get the Flagyl and already had 2 doses in him.  He purchased a 7 day course of antibiotics for a whopping... 



...that's right, .21 cents, something tells me that the price of medications in the US is a little bit high!

He's still making numerous trips to the bathroom, losing weight, and feeling pretty wiped out, but having a great time. He's seeing Nepalis cross the line of faith and that, after all, is why he's there!

If you would, when you pray for him, pray specifically for his health. Thanks for your faithfulness in reading, commenting, and most of all for praying. This Mom is very grateful for your encouragement to both Seth and to me. Love you all!

Amy

4 comments:

The Zehrs said...

Poor Seth. Wonder what he would do for a bowl of Cream of Wheat about now :0)! We will keep praying!

Sissy said...

Seth, I have thought of you and prayed for you all week. I now know the reason you have weighed so heavily on my mind. I did not realize you were really really sick. Anyway, hope you are feeling much better now. I love you lots!

Sissy

Anonymous said...

HEY GINA! JUST READ SETH'S BLOG!I NEED TO QUIT TAKING FLAGYL..IT'S NOT FOR FLAGYLENCE..NO WONDER I CAN'T GET RID OF THIS GAS! SETH GO A PARASITE FROM EATING SOME GIARDIA CHOCOLATE AND WATER OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT..HEY GINA!HAND ME SOME MORE OF THOSE PEANUTS..HEY SETH,UNCLE CHARLIE HERE.(I'M REALLY YOUR DADY'S BIOLOGICAL BROTHER.DON'T TELL HIM THOUGH.HE THINKS WE'RE JUST BROTHERS IN CHRIST.)(DON'T TELL HIS PARENTS EITHER)WELL I HOPE YOUR BOILER IS GETTING BETTER..I KNOW HOW PARASITES CAN BE.."HEY ROSS AND REED!""WHAT DID I TELL YALL?" UNTIE EMILY AND LEAVE HER ALONE!"AND NO YOU CAN'T HAVE ANY LUNCH MONEY!"..HEY WHAT DID I SAY?..SETH I GOTTA GO..I NEED TO GO GET SOME FLAGYL FOR THEIR BATHS..TAKE CARE AND KEEP ON ...LORD,I THANK YOU FOR SETH AND THE WORK HE'S DOING WHEREVER HE MAY BE RIGHT NOW.GET RID OF THAT PARASITE AND HELP HIS BODY TO GET BACK TO FUNCTIONING THE WAY IT'S SUPPOSE TO.LORD,YOUR WORD SAYS THAT EVEN IF ONE SHOULD SUFFER FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS,THEY WILL BE BLESSED.AND IF ONE IS PASSIONATE FOR WHAT IS GOOD,WHO(OR POSSIBLY WHAT) WILL HARM THEM?LORD I THANK YOU FOR TAKING CARE OF SETH THROUGH DR MOM,FLAGYL,AND YOUR WATCH.KEEP SETH STRONG AND HEALTHY,AND I PRAY THAT THE BLESSINGS YOU WILL GIVE SETH AND THE TEAM HE IS WITH, WILL FAR OUTWEIGH ANY SUFFERINGS THEY MAY HAVE HAD TO ENDURE.I ASK THIS IN JESUS NAME..AMEN

Anonymous said...

Seth, I've checked for a new post everyday, as logging onto your your blog has become a part of my life. Each time I'm reminded of exactly what you're doing and where you are. It makes my heart full and I pray for you, your team and the lives your witnessing for. I pray for your families at home, your safety and health.

I am glad your mom heard from you. I know she had to be so concerned. I'm thankful she was able to research what you needed
to get better and praise God the pharmacy had the medicine.

Can't wait to read the details of your journey. I know great things are happening. Praying for you!
Beth