Friday, June 13, 2008

48 hours and counting...

I have only 2 days left in Malaysia. It is unreal to me how quick these months have gone by. I described it to my parents as bittersweet. It is going to be so good to finally see friends and family face to face again, but I love this region of the world and can say with a good amount of confidence that, at some point in time, if you want to visit me it will require a trip to southeast Asia. I feel like I have a place here and that this region is where I am supposed to be.

On a light note, we saw the new movie from M. Night Shyamalan called The Happening, with Mark Wahlberg a.k.a. Marky Mark, as the lead role. Possibly the strangest movie I have ever seen, but I really enjoyed it. I am personally a fan of Shyamalan's very artistically strange representation of psychological thrillers. I am no movie making expert but I know enough to say the Shyamalan knows what he is doing with camera angles and shock factors. I wouldn't recommend this movie unless you know what you are getting yourself into. I loved it, but you may not.

It has been a rough week due to the Euro Cup soccer games. They are broadcast live here which means they don't come on until midnight and 2:45AM. Two games are played every night. We haven't been getting much sleep since our past few nights have been spent at various food stall locations until the wee hours of the morning. It helps to kill the time, though, since we are completely done and today and tomorrow are absolutely free. We are trying to get everything done that is exclusive to this area for one last time: Batu Ferringhi for tourist shopping, Balik Pulau for Siam Laksa(the angels themselves are employed by this food stall), Georgetown for Wan Than Mee and fresh fruit, the incredible taste of durian and mangosteens, etc. We have such a huge list of things to do in the next 36 hours.

Sunday at 2:15PM, my plane departs from Penang, Malaysia and it will take me about 30 hours of travel time to get back to Nashville. After I hug my family, we're going to Cracker Barrel. I have been thinking about that breakfast for six months, since I have known my arrival time in Nashville was 7:45AM for my whole stay. I am torn between Uncle Herschel's favorite and the Sunrise Sampler, decisions decisions. Then we are grilling out that night. I have considered making a list of different foods that I have missed out on for the past 6 months, but I am not going that extreme. All I can say is that corn beef and cabbage is going to be had within the first week. Anyways, I seem to be rambling on my blog so I'm going to sign off for now. I need to take a nap so I can be ready for the soccer games tonight. If I don't blog again before I come home, see you soon!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seth,
Have fun marking off your to do list. Hope the team you're cheering on Wins~ at least with 30 hours of flight time you can catch up on your sleep.

Cracker Barrel is yummy! I'd probably order both breakfast or one with a side of everything else.

Enjoy your cookout! I know this will be one of your dad's best Father's Day gifts.

Beth

Mandi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mandi said...

Seth,
It has been cool to share your journey through your blog. It has been amazing to see God work in your life. Look forward to seeing you back at church. Praying for good travel home.

Mandi

Diana said...

Seth,
I have read your blog several times over these last few months. Just sitting and watching. I think it takes amazing commitment and courage to leap from one side of this world, being in the protective arms of your parents, family, and friends,to stepping off into a journey of the unknown.
Without a doubt, you can see and hear the pride your mom and dad have for you, in their own blogs.

Everyone is going to be overwhelmed with joy upon your return.

Thank you for sharing this journey with all of us. Especially with those of us that have never had the excitement to see and be immersed in different cultures.

Congrats! to you not only finding God's will, but for following it...and taking a bunch of bloggers with you.

God Bless,
Diana

Anonymous said...

we're excited to see you monday! not sure that i can drag norah out of bed and to the airport by 745 but we'll definitely be enjoying a hot dog with you on monday evening.

be safe on your travels!

brad, alison & norah

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see you Monday morning! We'll be at the airport when you arrive. It brings a tear to my eye as I type this. I am so proud of you. Be safe on this the final leg of your journey!

Love, Sissy

Gina said...

Seth,

Thank you for letting us follow along on your journey. We have enjoyed reading your blog and hearing how God is working through you to reach people for His kingdom. Have safe travels back home and enjoy that breakfast at the Cracker Barrel!

The Fidlins
Gina, Steve, Noah, Caleb and Emma

Tiffany said...

I do have to say that I am a teeny bit jealous that you get to go home so soon! :)

Cracker Barrel . . . .

Cook Out . . . .

Corned BEEF and cabbage . . . .

I am also VERY excited for you! I am excited for your Momma to be able to hold you. I am excited for your Daddy to be able to pick your brain. I am excited for your brother and sister to hear your fun stories. And I am excited for you to touch people back home and spur them on to whatever it is HE has for them.

Happy flying and eat some hash brown casserole for me!

~Tiff

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear your stories! Have a safe trip home. Congratulations on completing the beginning of your journey.

Susan