Sunday, June 15, 2008

Goodbye Penang

I am sitting at the Penang international airport as I write this. I have been stressing a little bit because the flight to Taipei was pushed back an hour and 15 minutes. I didn't know how long my layover was in Taiwan so I was worried because I am ready to get back to Nashville. Luckily, after finding a free wi-fi network at the airport I checked my itinerary and my layover in Taiwan was 4 hours. China Airlines seems to have done me a bit of a favor since now 2 of those lonely hours I can now spend with Adrian at the Penang airport since he is waiting on his flight to KL which departs 10 minutes before mine does. Maybe I should say God did me the favor and not China Airlines.

It has been a really somber day for all parties involved. I didn't get to sleep until around 5:00 AM and then woke up at 8. I guess I am just anxious to get home. That is only one of the emotions destroying my peace right now, really. I am so excited that I get to play with my sister and see my friends and family face to face again in less than 36 hours, but I am heartbroken to leave a country that I have grown to love. I am also heartbroken to leave a group of people that I have grown to love as well. It was so difficult to actually walk out of the door to the car. We put on "The Scientist" by Coldplay on the loudspeakers as we left and this could have ruined this beautiful song for me personally. I will never be able to hear this song again without the memory of walking out the door and leaving behind the people who have become a 2nd family to me. I don't mean to sound like I have left them for good or turned my back on them, just referring to the fact that I literally walked out the door and left them behind because I had to.

I came here 6 months ago not knowing what to expect, and the funny thing is, I'm leaving 6 months later still not knowing. I guess life is just like that. Here I am sitting at the airport after the most solid 6 months of my life, and now I am more confused than ever. It is funny how many doors open to you when you are in line with God's plan as opposed to when you aren't. I came with a goal to attain direction and I got more paths. I got direction, absolutely, but now there are more alternatives and that is the hardest part. I want to be back in Asia so soon, but I know I need that piece of paper that says I'm qualified. It will open more doors, and after a lot of prayer I know it is the right decision, but the toughest part is knowing that it is going to take time to get it. I will be in America for a couple of years finishing school. I love everything about America, but my heart beats for this place. I know that it will be hard to leave family and friends again in the future, but the end result is so much greater than what I would get sitting around chasing what I want, and not chasing what I need. I'm going to finish school and I'm going to love spending the time in America, but it will be great when you have to come to another country to see me.

Even though this journey has come to a close, minus the 30 hours of flight I am looking at ahead of me, I will continue blogging. I will continue to keep everyone updated on the things going on in my life and how I am continuing to work at changing the world for the kingdom, but I am just going to continue taking it one day at a time. I have Camp Whatever a week after I get back and Brazil just 2 more weeks after that. I am also working full-time again this summer to make some cash. I have a lot on my plate, but it is par for the course. I look forward to more adventures in the future, and I also look forward to letting you in on the stories. For now, the adventure is rediscovering home. See you soon, I have to catch a plane to America.

7 comments:

Amy said...

I am deeply saddened by this post because I hear the pain in your words. I have dreaded this for you all day, because I know your heart. I am honored to call you my son.

Hurry home son, hurry home! Your Uncle Herschel and I are waiting on you. :)

I love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Seth:I'm glad that you will still br blogging, have a safe trip home & we hope to see you soon...we will not stop praying for you & your future....you have mad us proud...Love, Annie & Benny

Brandon Tomlin said...

Reading that was like reading the end of an adventure novel or something. One of the ones where you make your own music in your head as you read and you know that the next adventure will be something incredible!

Can't wait to see you and hear stories.

Kelly said...

I am so deeply proud of you, Seth! You have brought Glory to our Father and I can't wait to see what He does through you...

Eunice Wong said...

Keep in touch with all of us, ya.. Let us know how your re-entry experience is like.
Nice to know you'll be back in SE Asia shortly ;-)
Eunice

The Shingletons said...

Welcome Home!! We are so proud of you! I know God has great plans for your future. I can't wait to see waht He does through you! See you soon :) Shawnah

Tiffany said...

Heeey, I miss you heaps, Seth! Keep blogging so I can keep up to date with you :) Love ya.