Friday, March 13, 2009

Holi Holi Holi

Today is the last full day we have with friends before heading back to Delhi to fly back to the states tomorrow. We had a great time in the villages visiting with locals and constantly eating the massive amounts of food continuously shoved into our faces. I know that I have gained tons of weight in the starch and carbs capitol of the world. My blood pressure has to be through the roof. The food was so good though, made by the locals including the natural terroir.

On Wednesday, we celebrated Holi with the locals which was one of the most intense things I have ever been a part of. I was involved in countless amounts of water fights as a child with other people but never to this caliber. Despite protecting my digestive system making sure that no water makes it down my throat, I had much bigger problems. The dye that was being thrown was not only vibrantly colored but also ridiculously permanent. I was viciously jumped by a pack of wild Indian children with buckets, squirtguns, and hands full of soaked powdered dye. No amount of fighting back wore them out. After a few minutes I tried to assimilate into the new people group and coordinate attacks against the people that I came with. I found that no matter how many victories we had, when the action was over, they turned on me every time. The end result is pink skin that is very hard to get rid of. As a matter of fact, now, a few days later, my skin is still mildly pink.

Tomorrow we head back to the states. It is pretty bittersweet because I love being here but I also am ready to get back and see my family and go back to school and work. Well I guess I am out of things to say for now.

No comments: