Friday, March 7, 2008

Georgetown bound

This will be my last post for two weeks. Tomorrow we head to downtown Georgetown where we will be staying on the busiest street in the city. I don't even know what we are going to be doing in the city, but it is a short version of our longer term outreach to give us a taste of what it will be like to endure each other almost all day everyday. I think it will be good preparation for our trip. We have been waking up and meeting to pray or worship at 6:30 every weekday morning. I think this is a great idea because it really shows our flexibility and how willing we are to be uncomfortable for Christ. I didn't feel that way at first, and even most days I still hate it, but I know that it is for an end goal so much greater than my wants and needs. I'll just continue to grit my teeth, put on the Darfur benefit album of John Lennon cover songs, and head to the meeting every morning until time to leave.

Yesterday we had our first sobfest, and two months in at that! It was worthy of a churh camp, holy high! I am surprised it didn't happen sooner, but we had a time of coming forward to co-students we have had differences or maybe misunderstandings with. The only person I felt I really needed to apologize to was the only other American here. She is a really great girl, but our personalities clash and there have been a few tense moments in the past. In its own funny way, I look at the fact that the only person here I feel tense around is the only other American. Maybe God is trying to tell me something, after all I have been told that I am more Chinese than any previously met westerner by a couple of people. We did have a time of washing each other's feet after we apologized and reconciled with each other. Puspa went around the circle and washed every person's feet in the circle and then kissed them (something I couldn't have done by force). It was honestly the most prime example of the servant heart of Christ that I have seen in anyone here.

Our cat will have been gotten rid of by tomorrow. Something I am completely okay with. It is a nice little kitten, but need I remind you that everyone here that wants to adopt this kitten is going their seperate ways in June. I don't think anybody is interested in taking her home (it is a girl we realized).

I have been drinking coffee like water these past few days. I have occasionally gotten to a Starbucks around here and ordered my usual cafe americano with no room for cream, but it is incredible to have quality coffee at my disposal. I have cleaned my new french press more times than I can count on both hands and I have only had it for about 48 hours. And for some strange reason, I have felt compelled to share coffee with a handful of interested students around me. I know this has to be the Holy Spirit, because I assure you that it is not my own.

This week has been really good overall. I took a lot out of the lectures on the basic timeline of the Bible. I thought I wasn't going to at first, but I was proved wrong. Now that I move into preparation for these next two weeks, I am counting myself happy to have reviewed the key events in the Word. I have two weeks of outreach here in Penang and then 4 more weeks of lectures. Time is flying at an uncomfortable rate. In six weeks I will be heading to Nepal! I am so excited. For the time being, pray for the next couple of weeks for me. Pray that I can effectively communicate the gospel in any opportunity presented, as well as for everyone else here with me. Well, I think that is about all I have for now. I am sure that I will run across an internet cafe from time to time. Hopefully I will have enough time to get online and write a quick post. If not, then I'll write to you again in about two weeks! Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

lauraknight said...

We are praying for you as you go and know that God has great things in store.

Your comments about cleaning your french press make me want to dig ours out from the back of the cabinet. It hasn't been used in awhile.

Blessing and safe travels to you and your teammates.

Anonymous said...

Seth: Have a great time in Georgetown, I will miss your posts...Love you, Benny & Annie

Gina said...

Seth,
Thank you again for sharing your journey with us. We check your blog regularly and really enjoy seeing how God is working!

Best of luck to you on the trip to Georgetown. We will look forward to hearing from you in the next couple of weeks!

The Fidlins