Friday, March 21, 2008

"I feel so violated"...

I don't have much time, but I would like to tell you the story of why those words came out of Jared's mouth. If you know anything about Asian culture, in many countries it is perfectly acceptable for two men to pubicly display affection for each other if they are friends. It is quite normal to see men holding hands or sitting in each other's laps and such. This is not a tradition that is very common in Malaysia; however, on our Thursday night outreach with the Nepali migrant workers, it is becoming a more common sight. Last night, as a matter of fact a was sitting next to two friends of mine as they held hands talking and laughing in their language. I looked across the room and Jared was sitting on the bed next to the Nepali missionary Devendra. Devendra was rubbing his knee with one hand and playing with Jared's leg hair with the other. This is not something that I have gone without experiencing since I have sat next to Devendra before and he knows us better than the migrant workers do, thus he shows a friendly affection for us. It doesn't really make me uncomfortable because I recognize the difference in culture but I don't think that Jared had ever experienced this or even seen it on one of our outreaches before. I assured him that he had better prepare himself for the actual country because it would be much more prominent in Nepal rather than hanging out with a few people from the country. All in all, it was a very quiet ride home for Jared, though I enjoyed poking at the wound that was created.

Today is our last day in Georgetown. It has been fun but I will be glad to get back to our normal living arrangements. According to my speculation, on Sunday I will be online much more and updating the blog a lot more frequently over the course of the next month, before time to leave for Nepal. Tomorrow I have the obligatory duty of moving all of our stuff back and making sure nothing gets left behind so I probably will not be doing much online tomorrow except for talking to my parents, since I haven't in a few days. Thanks for reading and in a couple of days I will have you better posted!

No comments: