Thursday, April 24, 2008

Bringing Portuguese to Asia, one Westerner at a time

Well, here I have found myself in an internet cafe with incrededibly slow computers, under a time constraint, doing my best to update you guys via a broken keyboard. Some letters have to be hit with a sledge hammer to work almost.



So far, Nepal has been incredible. We have been to the two largest Bhuddist temples in Nepal and heard the catchy little Buddhist chants, that if you are immature enough, like most of our team, you can hear completely off the wall English phrases in them. They have so many handy crafts that catch your attention and occasionally you see a Westerner who is making a fool of theirself trying to stick to Buddhist tradition. I have taken many pictures but have no way of putting them on the internet at all. The posting of those photos will have to wait until I get back to Malaysia and have a decent internet connection again.



Yesterday we went to an orphanage, run by friends of the base here, and played with the children for a couple of hours before we went to a praye meeting at the main base. It was so much fun playing with these children, and of course these Nepali orphans have a special place in my heart considering how close a once-an-orphan little girl is to me in my life. We had a blast together and had most of them not had semi-Wastern names I wouldn't know any of them if I was asked. We are helping the very same orphanage move locations from in he city to a building right next to the base outside of the city. The base is in an absolutely beautiful area in the middle of rolling wheat fields and hills that almost qualify as mountains.



As many of you know, before I came to Asia, I was learning Brazilian Portuguese and thought it strange that Asia was where I ended up. Come to find out, our guide in Kathmandu, is a man named Junio from Fortaleza, Brazil. I have been brushing up on my Portuguese and learning some new through Junio. There is also two more Brazilians at the main base that live here. Maybe this is a sign for me. How often do you learn some Portuguese and then go to Asia, only to run into Brazilians? I don't really understand God's sense of humor, but if this is a sign pointing me to South America, then I won't mind.



No more food updates really, just a lot of buffalo meat and noodles and rice. We have eaten some naan bread a couple times but we don't want to get burned out on it since it is so good. There are a lot of Tibetan food places that are pretty good. They have a food called Thendup that almost tastes like my grandmother's chicken and dumplings, though it just isn't the same.



Well, I'll look for a time to get to this stoneage cafe to update yu in a couple of days! Thanks for all the prayer and reading!

4 comments:

Sissy said...

Seth, please know that we are thinking of you and will be praying for you while you are in Nepal. It was great being able to talk with you Saturday. We sure did miss you at the big birthday bash!

I love you sweet boy!
Sissy

Anonymous said...

Seth: Sissy can make chicken & dumplings exactly like Grandmother...I bet she would make you some if you wanted them,have you made your swan dive yet?Love, Benny & Annie

Anonymous said...

Seth,
The rolling wheat fields amist the hillside sounds like a beautiful location for God's special children. I'll look forward to seeing your pictures.

It was a nice surprise to see a post from you so soon. I'm thankful you have the connections to talk with your family.

Praying for you.
Beth

Anonymous said...

Seth: Have a great time in Nepal, you are so special to us.....Love ya, Annie & Benny