Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Every preacher's kids nightmare.

Well to answer the question my aunt asked me through comments: if you like coffee, don't come to Malaysia. Unless you can get to Starbucks, which are few and far between believe it or not, then it isn't much worth it. I have been swallowing my pride and drinking the gut-wrenching Nescafe instant coffee. I haven't decided if it was really worth the pain or the cringe on my face to drink it but I continue to chug that black gold, that tastes a bit similar to Jed Clampett's source of wealth actually. The problem, I have realized, lies in the fact that America consumes 20% of the yearly amount of coffee consumed. I fall into that statistic accounting for probably 5% at least. I promise you that my appretiation for the real stuff will be doubled when I return to America.

I led a Bible study this morning, something required of each of us once. I signed up for it early so I can watch the others writhe as times passes by slowly and they all wait for the fateful plane crash that is their first structured lesson of God's word. We all have to speak on a characteristic of God, which was easy because there is an abundant supply of those characteristics. I chose His power, an obvious one to me. Of course, I called my dad and used his guidance after I told him I was using the story of Gideon. My worst fear became a reality today. I finished remained standing to endure the positive and negative constructive criticism that follows each of these studies. I agreed with all but one of the negative aspects, but it was a bold claim made on a more personal bias rather than from a group perspective. And then it happened. What is "it" you might ask? My worst fear was realized today. When we wrapped up, my Dutch friend Ed walked up and said in a heavy accent, "You did really well today. You are such a preacher man." In my head I screamed "NOOOOOOOO!" I have always told everyone I have no aspirations to become a preacher, and I still don't. So I'm just kind of shrugging it off right now.

We discussed the fear of God more today and I didn't discuss the fall of man. Essentially, yesterday's lesson was about the love relationship between God and man that was originally intended. It was a great lesson that I don't know how to put into blog terms. Today, we discussed the "good news of the gospel," though. Another good lesson, save the overly obvious questions that no one seemed to have the answer to. Everyone's mind said, "Nope. This is a trick question. It isn't that easy." It was. We just didn't answer because of that.

I think that my glasses make me more intellectual. I have noticed an improved vocabulary, boosted confidence (the reverse of what should have happened) and a better ability to formulate ides in my head. Somehow it seems possible for me to leave my fears behind these little glass lenses and project this big, bold version of myself out in front of them. I appreciate them.

Something I would like to ask for is prayer. There is still a small lack of funding for some of my co-students. That is for the lecture phase. Many people are being completely faithful to God for the outreach phase, but the lecture phase is priority. Pray about it for me and my new family members. Thank you all for reading!

5 comments:

Christi said...

"Here's to you Seth!"
Just had to toast you with my Starbucks:)
You've gotta post a picture of yourself in the glasses. Glad you are feeling more at home there...praying for you. Christi Richey

Anonymous said...

seth,
my prayers are with you. i have
three grown nieces and i know
how difficult the life of a pastor's child can be. just
know that you have your home church
praying for you and your team.
peggy tidwell- fbc smyrna

Sissy said...

Seth, I am praying for you and all the members of your new family. I pray their financial needs will be met.

Thanks for the coffee update...I will go today and get a French Press and some coffee and mail it to you.

Much love & many prayers!
Sissy

Anonymous said...

Seth: Good post, It is 3:36 a.m. here & I'm up reading what's new....You are such a good writer & I'm sure you could preach too....Granddaddy could have told you plenty of stories about growing up the son of a Preacherman...He & Mother would be so proud of you, just like all the rest of us are....I wish I could get some good coffee to you, I just finished my second cup, take care & feel the love & prayers...Benny & Anna Ruth

The Shingletons said...

Yea, I know you were wanting to change oil in cars for the rest of you life. Hope God doesn't get in the way of that. hehe.
Shawnah