Friday, February 8, 2008

The first monkey sighting.

Well, I had it wrong. We didn't go to monkey beach today; it was turtle beach. There were no turtles due to the fact that the people here ate them all. With no turtles around then there is an abundant supply of jellyfish. We jumped off of the pier anyways, watching for the elusive devils before the fall. We had someone else stay up top to spot and tell us where to swim since they could see most of the jellyfish. More than half of the people with us were stung and all refused to use urine, the "miracle cure." I didn't get stung by a jellyfish but as I was standing on the pier I looked down and realized my arm, knuckle, and knee were bleeding. There were barnacles growing on the side of the pier and they are apparently razor sharp. That was the worst of my stinging today.

I did, however, see some monkeys today. Actually, yesterday after I posted about not having seen any monkeys yet, we were sitting on the beach and a man walked by with a little Rhesus monkey on a leash. He tried to steal a flip flop, back pack, and my water bottle while we were sitting right there. A gentle tug of the leash set him straight, though. He was terrified of the dogs on the beach and would frantically scramble up his owners body and sit on his shoulder. We saw some more monkeys today, but they were mostly in the tops of the trees, save for the one the my friend Ken said was quite mean when you get down to the brass tacks. That monkey also was on the ground not very far from us. Ken also told me that you could get pet monkeys here in Malaysia for very cheap. I didn't realize that. If I lived here permanently, I would own one. Ken also told me that they will gang up on you if you aren't careful. One monkey will run up and get a flip flop and have you chase after him, and then two or three more will unzip your back pack and take the things that appeal most to them so when you return victoriously with a flip flop you will realize the other theivery that has taken place.

It has been a pretty fun day. I am exhausted so I'm off to shower and take a nap.

No comments: