Wednesday, February 13, 2008

To Nepal or not to Nepal?...

Today we had to submit the official decision we have made in regards to where we think God is calling us for outreach. I must say, I have been extremely adamant about Nepal this whole time and then the group that showed the video for the Indonesian outreach really had a beautiful presentation. The Nepali presentation still took my heart over all. The pictures of Nepal really spoke directly into my heart. There were pictures of children and the look in their eyes spoke to my heart.

We were told if we go to Nepal, we had better try to get into some form of shape. We would be doing a lot of hiking around the foothills of the Himalayas. The "foothills" of the Himalayas are similar to the Rocky Mountains in America. They have a very different perception of what a tall mountain is and I have no idea why (sarcasm). Richard also told us that if the bus is full we might find ourselves riding on the top of the bus, a fairly common practice in many countries around the area. He gave us the heads up that we would be possibly on the top of a bus looking off a thousand foot cliff. What an experience!

The Nepali outreach costs a bit more, but God blessed me with the ability to comfortably go to Nepal and potentially help someone else out if the need is there.

We learned more about spiritual gifts today and it was a rather fun class. Tomorrow we are supposed to be discussing dream interpretation. It should be fun letting him interpret a few of my dreams, since most of them I wake up from thinking, "wow, that was messed up." I don't remember the rest of them. I think it will be a fun class. So far I have taken the classes with a grain of salt since this is far from how I grew up. It is a little difficult but I am glad that I am around people from different backgrounds that worship differently than I do. As my dad and I were talking, he was saying that it is such a good thing, since it is forcing me to recognize what I believe and learn how to coexist and worship next to someone whose approach is completely different than my own.

With each passing day, I am beginning to realize that June is getting too close, and a couple of times I have almost made plans to do outreach trips to surrounding nations and then thought to myself, "wait, I have to come back in June." And it is becoming a "have to" much more than a "get to" faster and faster. I look forward to seeing my friends but it is going to be one of the worst feelings leaving this place. I love it here already. Thank you for reading and I appreciate the support that I have been getting.

Also, Tim, I don't think I am very good at shopping. As a matter of fact, I am terrible at blowing money, so the fact that I have stuck so closely to my budget and not spent out of line is completely a God thing. Though I don't know what "gatherer" means, I don't think it pertains to shopping. I appreciate the theory, though!

3 comments:

Papa said...

Seth, I don't think I have met you personally, but I have certainly come to love who you are with God thru your blog. The experiences you are 'gathering' are designed to form you into a more perfect relection of Christ. Keep up the adventure and keep living a life worth telling stories about.

Anonymous said...

Seth,
Hiking the foothills of the Himalayas , looking over a cliff 1000 feet high on the top of the bus... something tells me your grinning from ear to ear. Where my heart would be pounding from anxiety, your heartbeats for purpose. Too Cool!

Beth

Tiffany said...

Hey Seth!

Steve and our teamate are at the edge of the Himalayas as I type. They are up there doing some training of new believers. He says it is beautiful and COLD! :) I think you'll love it there and the people are beautiful. Of course, I am a bit partial to the indians ~ I think they are just amazing.

Praying for your decision, praying for you.

~Tiff