Friday, February 1, 2008

My home away from home away from home

Well, after a 4 1/2 hour bus ride in possibly the most comfortable bus I've ever been in, I'm at my friend Jared's house in Kuala Lampur.  This bus was almost like first class on major airlines. Tomorrow night we'll enjoy a Switchfoot concert, an event that I'm particularly excited about.  That's not the main issue though, I have a few things much more important to write about that I'm sure everyone is dying to know.

First, I'll start with the things that I've eaten tonight.  I started out in a well known night market in KL with a soup of assorted edible beef parts, including cow stomach.  The stomach looked a little hairy on one side & really had no taste.  I can say that, similar to the chicken backside, I won't have any reason to eat this culinary non-delight again.  Jared's mom, however, did tell me I fit right into Asia because of my love for chili sauce.  Then as we (Leah from Canada & myself) walked out of the night market with Jared & his family his mother spotted some seasonal fruits that we were required to try.  One was called Pamelo and was very similar to a grapefruit but a little bigger & bright green on the outside.  It wasn't quite as tart as many citrus fruits back home. The second and final fruit we tried was an Asian delight.  Durian, as they call it here, was described to me by Jared as, "an awful smelling fruit that Asians love & Westerners hate."  I tried the fruit after discovering that it smelled a bit like a high school locker room.  To my surprise, the fruit was very tolerable & I'd buy it again, despite the horrid things it's done to my breath & hands.  It feels a bit like being sprayed by a skunk & enjoying it.  I do take heed to the fact Jared's mom complimented my adventurousness with the food.

Now on to the more serious aspects of the day, that I've noticed usually follow some gross, shocking or funny information.  A man named Jeff prayed over us today.  We were told it was going to be more of an affirmation thing.  I have to admit I was a little nervous about what he was going to affirm.  A few times I thought he might just CONFIRM that I'm an overweight American, like my 11 year old friend, Getzie, did.  He didn't. (Good so far)   What Jeff said really shocked me.   It shocked me from the standpoint that this man doesn't know anything about me & yet God affirmed through him everything I spoke to my dad about the direction of my life before I left to come here.  He told me that I was going to lead people into places that they didn't want to go.  He also told me that God created nations & people groups specifically designed for me to reach.  He told me how caring & gentle I was and that I can put my arms around people experiencing brokenness & injustice in the world and lead the way in breaking the chains of injustice (something I told my dad that I felt specifically purposed for).  This time was so meaningful to me because no matter how many times I try to tell myself that I'm not good enough or can't do it, I'm affirmed yet again by God through someone who recognizes the will & determination in me.  I am so thankful for where I'm at and the people I'm around.  I miss everyone at home, but Malaysia feels more & more like home everyday.

I love you all and thank so much for reading!

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

It's funny how it does that to you.

Home is where the heart is. . . . :)

Anonymous said...

I am impressed that you would even try such foods. Your descriptions alone make my stomach turn, all the chili sauce in the world doesn't remove the hair :O}
It's amazing how God speaks to us. Are you journaling all these blessings? I read your blog and I see myself reading books you have written. You have a gift of expressing yourself.

I am thankful your feeling more at home. Enjoy the concert and your weekend.
Beth

Granny-of-12 said...

Jeanne and Rick just came back from Africa and she described the hairy stomach about like you did. That to me is just another confirmation that you are where you need to be, at just the right time. God is with you always.
Blessing throughout,
Julia

The Shingletons said...

We had a conference this weekend and were reminded by Richard Ross that Jesus is on His throne! He is not just the man who walkED on earth and arose, or just the man who WILL one day return for us. Not that it wouldn't be enough, but He is majestic and sitting at the right hand of God the Father NOW! We were reminded that He loves us so much that He wants us to join Him in what He is doing now! He doesn't just want to come to our needs and help us, he loves us enough to want us to be a part of HIS plans! You are doing just that! You are joining Him in His work. Not just waiting for Him to come to YOU! He is mighty and I am so excited about the man you have become and how you are wrapping your life around His! WE love you and are praying for you. Shawnah

lauraknight said...

Seth,
I haven't been able to read your blog in a few days so I am taking time to catch up this morning. I like to hear about all the new foods you are experiencing...Rodney and I actually bought a Pamelo (sp?) at Publix a while back. It was pretty good.

Even more than your food musings, though, I am enjoying reading how God is confirming in your life that you are right where He wants you to be and that He has specific purposes in mind for you. I continue to pray for you.