Friday, February 15, 2008

Kusnan on Magellan

Today's post is going to be short and sweet. We had no lectures today. They were replaced by "faith in action" weekend. We did an inductive Bible study on Galatians then they handed each of us 10 ringgit and said, "see you guys around six!" Transportation was even left up to us.

In true apostolic fashion, we were sent out in teams of two. I was paired with Adrian. We talked to some Chinese people on the side of the street and they gave us a ride to the bus station where we hopped a bus to Komtar, a gigantic shopping center. We walked around downtown Georgetown and ended up at Kawan, the homeless ministry that YWAM runs in the city. We had a free lunch with homeless people and sat and just listened to them for a couple of hours.

I talked to a man named Kusnan. Kusnan also answered to Darius and enjoyed talking about boxing. He also enjoyed talking about Ferdinand Magellan and people getting eaten by crocodiles. I think he was talking about a friend of his that really was eaten by a crocodile and how he was hurt because he was too afraid to jump in the water and save him. Whether or not that is true, I will never know, but it makes for a pretty sad story. The point is that he really needed to be listened to and when we were leaving he thanked me for doing just that. It made me feel good to know that I didn't have to do anything but sit and look at someone and I was showing them Jesus.

Now we are back home and all exhausted. We are planning on bowling tonight but I'm not sure. I might just retire early this evening. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seth,
If you can I'd love to have your mailing address. It was at one time on your blog but was removed before I wrote it down.

I'd love to send you a package. I know you have lots of family who are taking care of you. More than likely you don't need anything, but I would be honored to send you a "care package."
Please be so bold to tell me what you want :O)

My e-mail address is:
beth.griffith@comcast.net

Linda C said...

Seth, you are such a gifted writer! Please let all of us know what you might need, and just not you, but the others around you. I would love to send care packages to your classmates, anyone want to join me?
Stay strong!
Linda C