Friday, January 11, 2008

3 Malaysians, 1 Indian, and a White Dude.

I have officially moved rooms. I have gone from having one roomate to having four, 3 Malaysians and 1 Indian. It's okay though, I enjoy my new roommates. We stayed up watching Kingdom of Heaven, but mostly Jared, from KL (Kuala Lampur), was teaching me Bahasa Malay (the official language) and I was teaching him as much Brazilian Portuguese as I could (because he already knows English). Jared is wanting him and I to travel to K L on the first Saturday in February to go see Switchfoot in concert. Who knew they would be in Malaysia when I was! Maybe it will work out. It would be a nice taste of home.

I ate one of the best meals I have ever had in my entire life yesterday and had a drink for a grand total of $1.50 in USD. That already makes Malaysia awesome. Almost every restaurant that you go to is outside under something very similar to a carport, only much much larger. They cook your food in stalls that line the edge of the carport.

It is absolutely beautiful here but it's so incredibly hot and humid that even when you are asleep you just feel damp. I am already kind of learning to live with it. Hopefully it will just sweat the pounds right off of me. Yesterday as Ed and Aafke (a married couple from Holland who are on staff here) and I were picking up two more students from the airport, there was a flight coming in from Jeddah. The airport became overwhelmingly crowded with Muslims. Ed informed me that the flight from Jeddah was a flight full of devoted Muslims returning from a pilgrimage to Mecca. It was really obvious and I should have noticed before he told me, but there were many, many proud Muslims in the airport. I felt like a spy. It made me feel really good about being a dude in a foreign country full of people who were not like me. If they only could find out more about what I believed!

I LOVE it here. I will continue to post more as it goes along. I'm off to orientation.

Terima Kasih (Thank You in Bahasa Malay),
Seth

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Seth - I know I said it before you left, but just to say again, it's really awesome to see someone my age do something so radical for Christ. It's very inspiring. And way to represent us pastors' kids! I know it's not easy. Haha! I'll be praying for ya! Hope the Switchfoot concert works out! Can't wait to see pictures!

In Christ,
Natalie Wilson

Anonymous said...

Seth;

Brenda and I will contiune to pray for you and your mission. I will follow your progress and adventures through your blog. You have made your Mom and Dad so very proud of you, now go out and make God famous!
In my prayers.
Ken Lewis

Sissy said...

Hey Seth...glad to see you've been able to update your blog again. I check several times a day. It was so good talking with you (call any time) and to find out you are doing so well. You make us all so proud.

Love,
Sissy

lauraknight said...

Thanks for sharing, Seth. The $1.50 meal sounds awesome!

Anonymous said...

SETH: WE ARE SOOOOOOOO PROUD OF YOU, GLAD EVERYTHING IS GOING WELL, REMEMBER NUMBERS 6:24, & I ALSO LIKE LUKE 1:37, I'LL FIX YOU A PEANUT BUTTER SYRUPIN SANDWICH WHEN YOU GET HOME.....I THINK WE GOT RID OF THE BLUE G GLASSES, I TALK TO YOUR MOM OFTEN,SHE SAYS JADYN WAVES AT YOU WHEN YOU ARE ON SKYPE.....LOVE & PRAYERS, ANNIE & BENNY

Tina said...

Praying.
KNOWING that you are WAY out of the box now... in a place where nothing is wrapped up in a pretty little religious bow... radical for Christ...

I love it!
May your spirit be strengthened my friend!

The Johnson Family said...

Thanks for creating the blog I love hearing about your journey, it sounds amazing so far!
Praying for you!

Crystal

Anonymous said...

HEY SETH, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!...OR ARE YOU AHEAD OF US..IF SO..HAPPY VALENTINES!!..

CHARLIE