Thursday, January 24, 2008

Flied Lice and Thaipusam.





I am going to begin this post with a bit of a comedic anecdote, but then I will take a turn towards the more serious aspect of things that I have experienced lately.

Jared has been teaching me how to speak Chinese-English and we have been working really hard to abolish my use of the letter "R." Today we ate "flied lice" and yesterday we discussed "supplies pahties." He also told me, "When we go to Thailand watch out for ladies saying 'massage sir, good plice!'" It has been really good learning this new dialect.

Now for the more serious aspect of recent experiences: Yesterday I had a free afternoon. After lectures were through at 1 O'Clock, I was free so I decided that I was going to cycle down to the Hindu festival of Thaipusam. For those who don't know what this festival is, it is a Hindu celebration of Lord Murugan's, the youngest son of Shiva and Parvathi's, birthday. To celebrate, many Tamil Indians will shave their heads and carry large pots of milk. But, the extreme "devotees" will go through a process of mortification of the flesh to symbolize the lance that Murugan, who is the Hindu god of war, was given by his parents to vanquish the demon Soorapadman. To celebrate this, they take large metal spikes and pierce it through both cheeks and large metal hooks and pierce the flesh on their backs and tie ropes to the end of the hooks. Some "devotees" even walk on broken glass or hot coals, but often times they are ridiculed for taking this too far with acts that are too dangerous and contrary to the spirit of Hinduism. Needless to say there was none of this firewalking at the festival I was at.

As I walked around this festival, that I had to cycle about 8 Kilometers up and down hills the whole way, to get to I realized how lost these people truly were. There was a heaviness in the air that felt as though I were being pushed down at my chest. I can't begin to tell you how uncomfortable this feeling was. I think I should say, that I have lived a "sheltered" life that I am thankful to my parents for and I haven't really been in the position of seeing people kneeling in shrines worshipping dead gods. It is a truly painful feeling when you know that everyone around you is completely lost. These Hindus need I think some of the heaviest prayer. With many other religions you have to sway the beleivers from one dead god but with hinduism there are tons of gods that they worship. It really was something I'm glad I chose to go to because God really gave me a glimpse of how broken His heart is for these people. I'm also glad that I will never feel like I want to go back.

6 comments:

Linda C said...

Seth,
Wow, in your first paragraph, well my heart was light as I read it. In your last paragraph I wept. For this to be in your face, and to feel the despair. Our prayers are with you. Pray for this nation that our hearts feel the burden for lost souls as yours has over there. Praying for the Joy of the Lord over you each day.

Amy said...

It is the worst feeling - that feeling of heaviness. There is such a demonic presence and seeing the hopelessness with your own eyes will leave a lasting impression on you forever. I am so proud of the man that you are and that you are becoming. I am continually praying for you and your Dad and are so very proud.

I love you,
Mom

The Collector said...

Seth,
May your light shine into the darkness that surrounds these people. God has chosen you for this place at this time and for His purposes. Be encouraged, you are a light of salvation in a dark world. We are praying for you and for those you will encounter. May you continue to lean upon Him and follow His direction. May many come to repentance and forgiveness---and freedom of salvation.
Amy

Anonymous said...

"Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled."
Luke 14:23

Thank you for being relevant! I am reminded of the lost opportunities I've had right here in my backyard. Here you are miles away from home and compeling lives over there and lives over here.

Your influence is irresistible and our God is powerful!
Beth

Anonymous said...

Srth: I love reading your blog..I've always hear it said that one half of the world doesn't know how the other half lives,thank you for sharing your wonderful journey with everyone...I love your writing....Take care,Love you, Benny & Annie

Tiffany said...

Hey Seth!
Steve and I are prayig for you. I'm glad you got to see first hand one of the "celebrations" that the Hindus do. There are SO many that you lose track of which one it is and which one is next!

It is a dark and hopeless world that they live it and it is hard to watch them worshipping their dead and meaningless gods. Once you see it though, you will want to find any way possible to tell them about the Living God. It changes you, it makes you bold, it makes you live for Him in a way that you never would have thought!

Praying for you
Tiff & Steve