Friday, January 25, 2008

Sin, Repentance and Potato Salad.

Today we had a pretty meaningful class of just confession and repentance. We wrote down lists of the things we have done in the past and I learned that apparently Asians idea of rebellion is much different than mine. That's okay though, they shared from the heart, and since we agreed on confidentiality, I will stop there. We wrote all of our wrongs on a piece of paper and told our stories than nailed them to a cross. After everyone went (which took about 8 hours for six of us guys ha), we burned the paper to be "set free." It was a well spent 8 hours I must say.

Then on to our "freedom" supper. A bit of a hokey title I know, but I have not been so happy since I have been here as I was tonite. We had excellent, authentically grilled food. Sausages, chicken and lamb. I took charge of making the potato salad, mainly because I had the leniency of screwing it up since the Asians did not know what it was until tonite. I absolutely butchered the recipe but they loved it! They were also very impressed at my vegetable slicing ability. I don't use a cutting board and that seemed to be an intriguing stipulation to my dinner preparation for my slant-eyed cohorts. I love wowing them with my smooth, southern savvy. I have my mother to thank for the nixing of the cutting board.

After dinner we watched a movie. The Kid starring Bruce Willis. *All men reading this pardon my word choice* A "cute" movie (for lack of a better word). Half-way through the movie I heard thunder. In any normal situation I would not have panicked. I am not, after all, afraid of thunderstorms, I rather enjoy them actually. I realized, however, that the clothes that I had washed this morning were still drying on the line. Needless to say, they were washed a second time because we were a good drive away from the house. We ended up throwing football in the street with the girls anyways getting soaking wet. It made for a good night though we have a frisbie down in the drain (a place no Malaysian dares step foot). Joy was a little upset at the loss of his frisbie but my rendition of "Taps" seemed to make him feel better.

As I sit here at midnight on the couch wishing I didn't have to get up at 6 on a Saturday I'm beginning to think I should have skipped this particular post. On that note: goodnight all (or good day for those of you in America). Thank you for reading.

7 comments:

Christi said...

"Sin, Repentance and Potato Salad" That's a title that only a Southern Baptist could come up with! So glad things are going well. Love reading your blog! Christi Richey

Unknown said...

Glad you didn't skip this post. Sounds like you had a good day. You'll have to make potato salad for us at the reunion! :) I love the movie 'The Kid'. It is 'cute'. Blessings Seth!

Anonymous said...

Your willingness to share your life with the world is something I look forward to each day now. It's awesome that we met in Smyrna, I live in KY, and you are halfway across the world, and I can still know what our God is doing in your life. You crack me up at times and at others (without sounding too sappy), you touch my heart. God is doing great stuff with you and I am thankful you are sharing it with me and everyone else. You are opening my eyes to things in the mission field which I have never been exposed to before. It honestly challenges me to stretch myself and possibly go on an international mission trip. Stacey and I are proud of you and look forward to seeing you in Smyrna again in the near future.

Tommy Redding

Sissy said...

Seth...Funny, Funny, Funny!!! I love hearing your stories. Vern & Patsy are in Smyrna this weekend. If you are on Skype have him give you some potato salad pointers. He make a mean bowl of potato salad.

Love, Sissy

Anonymous said...

Sethy: I look forward to reading your post early every morning....It gets me going..We are very proud of you, Actually, we are all on a mission field every day of our lives..by our words deeds & actions....You are doing a great job & making us proud.....Love & Prayers, Benny & Annie

Anonymous said...

Hi Seth!
I am doing a project on missionaries in my AWANA group. I decided to do my project on you. One of the things I need to find out is how you are serving the Lord in Maylasia. Could you tell me some ways you are serving God? Our e-mail adress is sgfidlin5@yahoo.com. Thank you!

Emma's brother,
Noah Fidlin

Anonymous said...

Glad you didn't skip the post. You have a way with words. What a wonderful memory for you.

Beth